26 August 2008

A Revealed Secret

“To every man, in his acquaintance with a new art, there comes a moment when that which before was meaningless first lifts, as it were, one corner of the curtain that hides its mystery, and reveals, in a burst of delight which later and fuller understanding can hardly ever equal, one glimpse of the indefinite possibilities within.”—Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis

In some small way, I believe, this happens to us in our acquaintance with God. Yes, over time we experience and learn and change and come to understand. But every once in a while He draws back the curtain, ever so slightly, ever so quickly and all at once we see and experience the Person of Christ in such a way that we cannot put it in human language. Suddenly the word “know” broadens from mere knowledge to that internal assurance that needs no explanation, finally we feel what is true and let our hearts sing with joy.

It is so satisfying. And yet, we are thirsty for more. Isn’t it strange [and wonderful] how God both fully satisfies us while and the same time gives us such a longing after Him that it overshadows all else?

"O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, `Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.' Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long. In Jesus' name, Amen." - A.W. Tozer

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts! I love that prayer/quote by A.W. Tozer
    *HUGS*
    ~Meagan~

    ReplyDelete