16 November 2010

Gluten Free Crepes

Finally, here is the first installation of recipes that I've discovered in my food journey of the past three months. By now I'm slowly adding foods back into my diet, so I'm not quite so restricted (life is so much better with garlic!) but by now I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to stay away from whey (milk, cream, soft cheese...*sigh*) and keep sugar to a minimum. Hence, my search for healthful recipes that are allergen-free continues.

Gracie was over for the weekend, and to keep up a sister-tradition we had to make crepes. Just before we started, I searched through all my cookbooks only to discover that I didn't have one single crepe recipe. Thanks to the first search result in google, I found the best gluten free recipe for crepes that I've ever tried! The batter seemed really liquidy, but I forced myself to trust the recipe and it payed off, so don't worry about the liquidy batter.

Gluten Free Easy Crepes

Ingredients:

  • 2/3 cup of milk (dairy or non-dairy; I've used rice and soy milk with equal success)
  • 1/3 cup (or 50g) cornstarch
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons oil or melted butter

Directions:

  1. Mix all ingredients with a whisk until well blended.
  2. Melt butter on pre-heated pan (oil works too)
  3. Pour just enough batter into pan to cover surface while swirling the pan.
  4. Continue to swirl the pan - off the heat! - until the batter begins to bubble and there is no long excess batter to swirl.
  5. Cook for 20-40 seconds (but the first crepe will take longer) or until steam is puffing out the sides
  6. Quickly and with care flip the crepe and cook an additional 15-20 seconds.
  7. Continue until all the batter is used, re-buttering/oiling the pan as needed.

Serve sweet or savory! The recipe is ideal for two people :)

No comments:

Post a Comment