08 March 2007

Running the Race


I awoke to a loud beeping. As I reached over to turn off my alarm clock, I noticed the time:
4 a.m. It took a few seconds to remember what compelled me to rise at such an early hour. Race day!
I could already feel the adrenaline rush through my veins. I sat up, rubbed the sleep from my eyes, grabbed my running clothes, and headed off for the bathroom. The dark dampness penetrated my bones as I crossed the KOA campground, the dew soaking my sandaled feet.

I could tell that it promised to be a humid day, but consoled myself with the fact that fresher air awaited me at the starting line, located along the shore of Lake Superior. In just a few short hours my mom, brother, two of my sisters and I would be heading toward Duluth, Minnesota in the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon. I love this race. It contains all the necessary factors: beautiful scenery, a cheering crowd, neat race shirts, and great food. Plus, even in mid June, the weather in Northern Minnesota remains moderate, which contributes to the race's popularity. In fact, so many people want to run this race, and its sister, the Grandma's Marathon, that they draw a lottery to pick who gets in. The event attracts 6,000 plus runners every year. This means that all the hotels jack up their price and get filled by February, and for this reason my family opted for the campground.

After I finished getting ready, I headed for the cooler. Let Joel keep his theory about not eating anything. Just let me enjoy my bagel with cream cheese. Grace, my younger sister, looked at me through glazed eyes, and I remembered that she usually gets up around 7:30. Getting up at 4 a.m. didn't jive with her (who does it jive with?). Elizabeth, my older sister and the "Tigger" of the group, was already excited and talking about the race. Mom drank her cup of coffee (coffee before running 13 miles?) and we started to load the van with things we wanted for after the race. Conversation revolved around how we slept, the weather, and the butterflies in our stomachs.

We arrived at the Duluth Convention Center just in time for the shuttle buses that would take us to the starting line. As we waited in line, I chided Joel about his shoes. They resembled something you might find in a dumpster. All attempts to convince him to invest in a new pair had failed, even though his current pair belonged in the trash. Most running shoes will last 500 miles, but these had lasted more like 5,000. Oh well, we'll try again next year.

The ride to
the starting line didn't last long, and pretty soon we found ourselves amidst a sea of 2500 runners and volunteers. About 30 Biffies lined up along the road, and about five people waited in line for each one. Oh well, I thought as I got in line, best take the time to do this now instead of later. I could feel the excitement in the air, and it invigorated me. Starting time neared...

At 6:30 am, central time, I stood at the starting line, or at least near it. A flood of emotions surged through me. Would I finish? How woul
d I do? Was I crazy or something? By now my hopes for fresher weather had been dashed. The humidity here seemed worse that back at the campground, and I braced myself for a hot day. The thought of quiting did run through my mind, but I quickly dismissed it. I wasn't about ready to waist $50 and months of training. This was it. The culmination of all my hard work and preparation. I'd experienced my share of setbacks, like a sprained ankle and a bout of the flu, but I had overcome, and now the Moment of Truth had arrived. Through thick and thin, I determined that I was going to finish this race.

The gun sounded, and we started to run to the theme from Chariots of Fire. As usual, I had to focus hard not to push myself too soon. I have a tendency to give in to adrenaline and run faster at the beginning. As I gazed at the beautiful Lake Superior to my left and into the forest to my right, I settled in for the ride. Once I locked into my stride my thoughts wandered. I find it hard to describe what happens to one's mind when you run; time slows way down, and deep thinking is almost impossible. Just breathing takes most of your concentration. It helps when outside distractions present themselves, as was the case here. A guy dressed like "Grandma" jumped on a trampoline to rap, volunteers encouraged me with cheers and offers of water and sports drink, someone played some sort of instrument on the roadside, not to mention the hundreds of runners in front and behind. But one thought predominated my mind: I've got to make it to the finish line!

The going became tough around mile 7. The heat grew worse as the sun came out as we left the shoreline to enter Duluth. Over half way there. By now the crowds grew thicker, and the cheering kept me going. I was so tired, so hot, so hungry. Just get me to the finish line! I could have quit any time, but then I wouldn't get any glory! No rewards awaited the quitter. A few walking breaks helped as mile 8 passed, mile 9, mile 10. Only three more. I tried to enjoy my surroundings more, but found it to hard to run if I didn't concentrate on breathing and technique. I passed the 11 mile marker, then the 12 mile. Only one more to go. The hill near the end almost killed me, causing me to wonder if my hill training did any good. The course started to twist and turn, making it hard to know just how close I was to the finish line. Don't sprint too soon, I told myself. As I rounded another bend, I saw it: The Finish Line!

I collected my finisher t-shirt and
medal, unlaced my shoe to give them my time chip, and headed for the food. Before too long the gang collected, and we exchanged stories. The rest of the day we relaxed, basking in our accomplishment. The most wonderful feeling that I've had is the one I got as I crossed the finish line, that sense of elation, achievement, satisfaction, and utter exhaustion. The race was hard, but every minute of agony made the finish all the more glorious.

I like to think of life as a series of races. Challenges face us, difficulties beset us, and great beauty surrounds us. Each "race" varies in length and intensity. Each one brings its own unique experiences and prepares us for the next.
Hebrews
12:1-2 says:
"Wherefore, seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Just like running, t
he Christian race takes discipline. More and more difficulties face us in this day and age where self-gratification and materialism abound. We know that God will bless us for rising early and spending time in His Word, but the culture around us condones late nights and "sleeping in." Most of us experienced the benefits of giving, but all the commercials and adds scream "Do what you want." While the average American youth allows immoral thoughts and lifestyles, we struggle to meditate on and obey God's pure Word. Like I said before, the Christian life takes discipline. Good intentions don't cut it. The key to true success is a deep, abiding relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, and we can only achieve this through spiritual disciplines.

What are spiritual disciplines
? The basic ones, Bible reading, memorization and meditation, prayer, and time management lay the foundation for others, such as serving, journaling, quietness, worship, and evangelism. We do not do these things to gain entrance to heaven, we do them because Christ has already given us salvation. It naturally flows from a relationship with Him. But the fact remains: practicing spiritual disciplines is impossible. It rubs against our human nature in every aspect. We do well for a while, then give up when we fail. But here lies a beautiful paradox: Christ perfects His strength in our weakness. Through His finished work on the cross we gain direct entrance to the throne of God, where we receive the grace and wisdom that we need.

Let us not hesitate to come before the throne of grace. Ask in faith. Run the race with patience, looking to the One who has gone before us. The race is before us...On your marks, get set, go!


No comments:

Post a Comment