“As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.” (Romans 9:13)My natural reaction when I read this was to think of Jacob's prosperity, and the fact that his seed became God's chosen nation. He got the girl of his dreams, amassed quite a fortune, and raised a big family. Then I think of Esau, and how he foolishly gave away his birthright, and lost his father's blessing.
But this only highlights part of the story. Since I can see the beginning to the end of the tail of the two brothers, the blessings in Jacob's life, and the consequences of Esau's, a few startling facts tend to disappear, facts that help me fully grasp the evidence of God's love for Jacob and His hate for Esau.
First of all, take a look at a few of the events in Jacob's life:
- He is rejected by his earthly father
- His brother attempts to murder him
- He had to flee his home and country
- His future father-in-law goes back on his word
- He has to work for 14 years to marry the girl he really loves
- There is constant conflict between his wives
- He is chased by his father-in-law when he tries to leave
- His favorite wife dies after giving birth to her second son
- He is chased by God and wrestles Him in the middle of the night
- He is hounded and hunted by God at every turn
- His treacherous sons sell his favorite son and make it look like he was murdered
- His daughter is raped
- His neighbors are at enmity with him
- In his old age he moves to a strange country and dies there
O.K., now a few events in Esau's life:
- He sells his birthright for a bowl of soup
- His brother steels his blessing
- He gets married
- He raises a family
- He becomes relatively prosperous and leads a “normal” life free of trouble
The ultimate sign of God's love is his discipline. When I get swamped with AE assignments and start to complain to God for getting me into it in the first place, He brings me back to that statement. The ultimate sign of His love is in putting me into difficult situations that cause me to know that I need Him. To lead a normal life is to lead a life separated from God.
So next time I only get a few hours of sleep, my computer isn't working, my mom is mad at me for not rinsing my dishes, my little sisters are screaming and fighting, my brain is foggy, the air conditioning isn't working in my room, I run out of money, and am overwhelmingly discouraged, I will know that God is showing me His great love. He loves me too much to leave me to myself, and forget that His hand in my life.
“For whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom He receiveth.”
Paige,
ReplyDeleteI was going to say that you hit the nail on the head, but it might be more accurate to say you hit me on the head. :)Can't wait to see you again.
i read a book that you might enjoy on this called" Jacob Have I Loved "
ReplyDeletei thought that book was cool but had a wierd ending
ReplyDelete