18 April 2008

Random Poem

I don't like poetry very much. Don't get me wrong - I love the concept, and wish I myself had the ability to express myself in verse. I just haven't found many poems that I actually like. I found this one buried in an Elisabeth Elliot book I am reading, and I like it.

I'm standing, Lord:
There is a mist that blinds my sight.
Steep, jagged rocks, front, left, and right,
Where is the way?

I'm standing, Lord:
The rock is hard beneath my feet;
I nearly slipped, Lord, on the sleet.
So weary, Lord! and where a seat?
Still must I stand?

He answered me, and on His face
A look ineffable of grace,
Of perfect, understanding love,
Which all my murmuring did remove.

I'm standing, Lord:
Since Thou hast spoken, Lord, I see
Thou has beset - these rocks are Thee!
And since Thy love encloses me,
I stand and sing.


- Betty Scott Stam

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paige...I hope I'm not being too familiar commenting on your blog again like this (you can blame it on Lauren)

    ...it's just that poetry has been largely on my mind the past few days and I've been posting good poem finds on a blog called poemstoenjoy.blogspot.com Even though I like to write poems, until recently it's been hard for me to find ones I like, too.

    So if you want poetry that actually means something so somebody, and is in maneagably doses...

    Ok, I'm done bugging you now :)

    ReplyDelete