14 February 2009

My Response to Vanlentine's Day

Last year I decided that I hated Valentine's Day. I had many reasons and lead myself to believe that I was completely justified in my abhorrence [and contrary to common belief, none of the reasons stemmed from me being single]. But in the end that was all it was: a decision to hate it, and as Dave so aptly put it, "it takes a lot of energy to hate." Needless to say, my lack of energy this past year has softened my opinions on many things, Valentine's Day being one of them.

The main object of my dislike of the day was the sappy and cliche way of consoling single young people by calling it Single's Awareness Day and going on and on about how it is a day for remember God's love, etc. etc. I just get sick and tired of hearing sappy cliches.

But the problem with cliches is that many of them are true. God does love us, and His love is far above anything this single girl could get from a guy. I am human, I forget, and what do holidays do? Remind you.

In short, my attitude has progressed from Abhorrent Disdain to Passive Acceptance. Perhaps by the time I get married I will have reached the point of Exuberant Delight.

What I did this Valentine's Day? Slept until 9.30, ate a hearty breakfast with the sibs, took the little girls on an "Adventure" to clean out under Anna and Claire's bunkbed, took them to Target so they could spend their hard earned cash on Littlest Pet Shop toys and I could get some deodorant, went with Joel, Dave, and Mark to Half Price Books [where I found yet another copy of Tired of Being Tired - yay!], and later tonight Dave is taking me to see Coraline [I just read the book, and like it, hence I can't wait to see the movie]. I'm now deciding whether I should cave in and wear something red and my black velvet shirt or just be contrary and wear a ton of green.

Happy Valentine's Day!

*the picture was taken today while cleaning out under the bunkbed [Anna has a very timely and distinctive sense of humour]

1 comment:

  1. You should wear red. I will if you will.

    Good post. Nice to see you agreeing with me about stuff for once.

    ReplyDelete