05 August 2009

Kooteelanna

Last Saturday Dave and I and three good friends decided to savour summer and go on a good, old fashioned picnic, or as they say on Marva, a kooteelanna.

The weather was perfect, cool and breezy with a nice smattering of sunshine. We ate to our heart's content, told stories of getting lost and eccentric policemen and guardian angels, walked along the river bank, breathed in gobs of fresh air, and in all had a great time.

It's amazing how, with just the knowledge that in six weeks I'm leaving for Germany, I automatically notice and appreciate the little things that I won't have when I'm gone, like the smell of Minnesota, pumping gas at a gas station, going on picnics with family and friends. I'm always keenly aware that I won't be able to appreciate them for much longer, so I "drink in" every experience. Yes, even cleaning my bathroom.

The ever-necessary group shot:
the fantastic five

walking along the Mississippi river:
the mississippi

a couple flower/weed pictures:
peacefulness

CIMG7418

Christi, leading the way...
christi


It was a day well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment